Saturday, September 17, 2011

More domestic stuff.....

Some might call it 'nesting,' but I really just don't want all this yummy produce to go to waste!  I got some tomatoes from the garden when I went to Kansas last weekend.  I wanted to make salsa, & also canned crushed tomatoes.  Since Mike is allergic to onions, I use alot of crushed tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, chili, etc...any tomato based stuff...most of all store bought stuff has onions.  Anyway, I came  across a post saying that you could puree your fresh tomatoes (skins & all) and freeze them in freezer bags to use whenever!  I thought that sounded so much easier than trying to stand over the hot stove canning all these tomatoes.  So I tried it!  I did have enough peppers to make Mike 1 3/4 qts of salsa!




This little gadget came with my blender & attaches to it.  It has a bigger blade...I guess its kinda like a food processor!  It works great, I have used it more in the last 2 weeks than the whole time I've had it.  *Side note* My mom & mom -in- law both have their blenders that they got when they got married (37 & 36 yrs.) And I already have had to replace my blender once in 12 years (probably about 4 years ago).

So I ran the tomatoes through here & then transferred them to a bowl

Then I used this ladle to put the tomatoes into the baggies.  The ladle measured just about 1/2 a cup

I filled each bag with about 3 cups.

I ended up with 8 quart size bags of crushed tomatoes..can't wait to use them!  But...I should probably use the canned grocery store stuff that is in my pantry.  That way, when it's super cold & wintery, I can use my "fresh/frozen" tomatoes and they will taste so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment