Friday, August 5, 2011

Best Dill Pickles EVER....my Grandma's homemade!!!

So, as a girl growing up I can always remember having homemade dill pickles @ my Grandma's house.  THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!  So now as an adult(LOL) I have attempted to make them myself.  I tried a few years ago & didn't do something quite right, they didn't stay crispy or crunchy...they got kinda soggy :(  This was 2 summers ago..so last year, while visiting my Grandma, we of course had her homemade pickles..which prompted me to ask what makes them stay crispy...she told me & so I was alot more careful this time to make sure I did it right (I hope).  Anyway, thanks to a friend with a large garden, I made pickles today!  I can't wait to try them...but I know I need to!

DILL PICKLES
1 head of fresh dill
one garlic clove
1/8 tsp Alum
piece of horseradish about 1 inch long 
(I can't find any...so my pickles won't quite be the same...need to plant some in my garden for next year)


Ingredients


Scrub cukes and cut off ends
Whole Pickles
Slices for Burgers & Such!
Spears 


Pack into sterilized jars and cover
with boiling brine made from:

1/4 c pickling salt
1/2 c vinegar
3 cups water

All Packed in!!







Boiling Brine


Adding Brine!

Seal with lids (I just put my lids on & turn them upside down...then as they cool, they seal...EASY)!!!

YUMMY!!! Enjoy the BEST DILL PICKLE EVER!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment